Find a reputable business?

What's on your mind? We're here to help you

0 Reviews

0 Answers

How to get out of. US dept of Ed garnishment

Date: 2/28/2020 5:02 PM (PST)

I have been under garnishment with the US adept of Ed for 2 years. I have lost a job and home because I was unable to pay my rent due to the garnishment. After losing my home, I had to move in with family two hours away. Which means I could not retain my job. I am working again and the payments are too high.

What are my options?

Category: Business

Responses: 1

1 Reviews

850 Answers


Date: 3/2/2020 12:34 PM (PST)

Thank you for contacting Business Consumer Alliance. I’m sorry to hear of the situation you find yourself in with the Dept. of Ed. You can plead a hardship. Typically, this is done prior to the garnishment. Of course, you will need to provide documentation proving the garnishment is putting a strain on your finances by filling out a financial disclosure form. Make it clear your current financial situation makes it impossible to afford the garnishment payments hitting your paycheck. This will, unfortunately, continue until you make them aware of what the garnishment is doing to your livelihood. Your current employer may be able to offer some assistance.

I would not wait any longer and make contact as soon as possible. Ideally, this should have been done prior to the garnishment, or even at the very start of the garnishment.

On their website, the Dept. of Ed., has a page dedicated to student loans. Here is the link to their page on defaulted loans:

I hope this information is helpful. I can be reached directly at

What do you think?