1 Review
0 Answers

Send Message

Can BCA help me recover money from an unlicensed business?

Date: 2/18/2019 1:01 PM (PST)

I hired an individual about a month ago to do some plumbing work in my home in Holly Hill. His business card stated he was "licensed & insured". Come to find out, he does not have a city or county license and he does not have a Florida plumbing contractors license. He also did not pull any permits. The work consisted of installing a washer box, studor vent, drain, and hot/cold water lines in a room that had no existing plumbing. I paid him $1,350 in full, via check and cash. The work was then not done according to the signed contract, and the individual never returned to complete the work as agreed. In fact, shortly after he left a leak occurred which damaged the drywall and flooring. In an effort to discover what caused the leak I discovered that the washer box did not have a trap or studor vent installed, and the drain was not tied into any existing drains. In fact, the drain was simply ran into the ground and covered up with dirt. I then called and texted the individual on multiple occasions regarding the leak, damaged flooring, and plumbing not installed according to contract, but he never returned to complete the work. I was met with only missed appointments and excuse after excuse. I then demanded a portion of my money back, but my demands were ignored. I texted the individual that I was considering contacting the State Attorney, BPR, and City & County licensing offices if he did not return $850 of the $1,350 I paid him, as this money was needed to initiate repairs. He in turn responded via text that he wanted to return to complete the work as agreed, but due to his improper licensing I declined. I have copies of the proposal/contract, check, and all the text message exchanges. I also have pictures of the individual doing the plumbing work, and subsequent leak & damaged drywall and flooring, and improperly installed vent & drain. So the question is: How can the BCA assist me in recovering money from an unlicensed and uninsured business?

Responses: 1

1 Review
673 Answers


Send Message

Date: 2/19/2019 10:35 AM (PST)

Good Morning Tina. Thank you for your question. BCA can assist you in filing a complaint against the business. We’ll ask the company to address the allegations in your complaint and address your proposed resolution. As soon as we hear back from the business, you will be contacted. Further action may be necessary, but filing a complaint is a good first step: Unfortunately, BCA makes no promises because we cannot guarantee a positive resolution will be reached or that the company will respond to us. In your post you state you are considering contacting the State Attorney, BPR, and City and County licensing offices. I recommend contacting each office to see what they may be able to do for you and also to give you a better idea of what options are on the table for you. Resolving a dispute with a licensed business or contractor can be difficult, resolving a dispute with an unlicensed business or contractor will be even more challenging, so you definitely do not want to leave no stone unturned.

I hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to contact me directly at if you need further assistance.

Did this help you? (1) (0)

What do you think?

You must register or log in before you can contribute on Ask The Experts.