Find a reputable business?

What's on your mind? We're here to help you

0 Reviews

0 Answers

Does a Landscaper need a CSLB license for a job under $500

Date: 3/11/2013 3:18 PM (PST)

We want to hire a Landscaper to cut down a tree in our front yard.
Does he need a CSLB license if the job is under $500?

Category: Services

Responses: 2

0 Reviews

8 Answers

Date: 3/15/2013 9:36 AM (PST)

Yes. California law is strict when it comes to contractors and in this case, the homeowners who hire them. If you’re hiring someone to do construction, – and tree trimming is included in the term construction where the work includes tree removal, pruning, stump removal, or the use of cabling or guying – make sure you are not penny wise and pound foolish and hire professionals to take care of things in and around your home. But don’t worry about your gardener “who in the normal course of routine work performs incidental pruning of trees measuring less than 15 feet in height. . .” he or she is not generally required to be licensed. (Bus. & Prof. Code Section 7026.1(d)) Also, save your creativity for other ventures and don’t think that just because you’re only doing “a little landscaping,” or you’re paying less than $500.00, you will get a free pass from potential liability. If the person you hire gets hurt, not only are you likely to feel guilty, sorry and generally regretting not listening to your [husband/wife] who told “not to hire that guy, but you’re also likely to be considered the employer of this injured worker. Source:

2 Reviews

15 Answers


Date: 3/19/2013 8:32 AM (PST)

ML, in California, tradesmen who contract for jobs under $500 aren't required to be licensed. The thing is, all of the work they're doing must total less than $500; in other words, they can't do three separate jobs with each totaling less than $500 and still stay under the maximum. The law will aggregate the individual invoices to see if they meet the requirement.

What do you think?