Looking to please your guests this Labor Day? Well, fire up the grill and try some of these tasty recipes that will help you savor the last days of summer. Business Consumer Alliance wishes everyone a safe and happy Labor Day.
SMOKED AND GRILLED RIB EYES WITH SHALLOT-GARLIC BUTTER
Liven up your grilled steak with this tasty shallot-garlic butter.
2 rib eye steaks (about 2 1/2 lbs. each)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 shallot, minced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
Dry steak rub (recipe follows)
Special equipment: extension rack for grill
1. In a small saute pan, add the olive oil and heat until smoking. Add the shallots and garlic and move the pan to the cool zone, allowing the shallots and garlic to cook in the hot oil until fragrant.
2. Place steaks in a large baking dish. Using a mesh strainer, pour the garlic shallot olive oil over the steaks.
3. In a small bowl, blend together the butter, shallots, and garlic and set aside.
4. Rub the steaks with the flavored oil and season liberally with basic dry steak rub seasoning.
5. Place steaks on the extension rack as far away from the heat as possible, cover and allow to smoke for 8-10 minutes.
6. Remove the steaks and the extension rack from the grill.
7. Return the steaks to the grill over high heat and grill 3-4 minutes per side for medium rare (130 degrees).
8. Remove steaks, plate, and top each with the garlic-shallot butter. Allow the steaks to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
DRY STEAK RUB SEASONING
2 tbsp. hot smoked paprika
2 tbsp. light brown sugar
3 tbsp. Kosher salt
3 tsp. cracked black pepper
2 tsp. ground thyme
1 tsp. ground rosemary
1 tsp. chili powder
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and blend well.
GRILLED SPICED CORN
Your corn on the cob will pop with this smoky spicy recipe.
3 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup honey
1 to 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. pepper
6 medium ears sweet corn, husks removed
1. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the honey, pepper sauce, garlic and seasonings until blended; heat through. Brush over corn.
2. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Grill corn, covered, over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until corn is tender, turning and basting occasionally with remaining sauce.
RED WHITE & BLUE POPS
Cool down with this festive, healthy treat.
Special Tools: plastic Popsicle maker, small star cookie cutter, and Popsicle sticks.
1. Cut the watermelon in thin slices about 1/2 inch thick. Using the star cookie cutter, cut out star shapes.
2. Place a Popsicle stick into the center of the bottom of the star, and then place it into the Popsicle form.
3. Slowly pour the lemonade into the container, making sure it flows to the bottom of the Popsicle form, then top off with the blueberries.
4. Freeze (about 6 hours) and serve.
*Note: This recipe is versatile. For variation, use fruits such as strawberries, raspberries, grapes, or cherries. You can also use limeade, coconut water, or white grape juice instead of lemonade.
Interested in more? Check out other food and drink recipes we’ve shared:
RECIPES FROM BCA STAFF
A DESSERT RECIPE THAT WILL KEEP YOU COOL THIS 4TH OF JULY
About Business Consumer Alliance
Business Consumer Alliance (BCA) is a non-profit company that started in 1928. The broad purpose of BCA is to promote business self-regulation. BCA's mission is achieved by assisting consumers in resolving complaints with businesses and using that complaint information, along with other relevant information such as customer reviews, to forecast business reliability. With community support, BCA can identify trustworthy and ethical businesses and warn the public to avoid unscrupulous businesses whose purpose is to defraud the marketplace. BCA also helps businesses promote themselves by providing services and tools to protect their business and reach out to their customers. BCA obtains its funding from member businesses who support the mission and purpose of the organization and who agree to abide by high standards of ethical business practices.