Find a reputable business?

What's on your mind? We're here to help you

0 Reviews

0 Answers

Working out of state

Date: 2/2/2020 5:18 PM (PST)

As a CA lisenced C-33 painter, what would I need to do 1 job in the state of Washington?

Category: Business

Responses: 1

1 Reviews

850 Answers


Date: 2/3/2020 12:55 PM (PST)

Hello Cody. Unfortunately, there are requirements, even for out-of-state contractors.

Washington State requires all construction contractors to register with the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries (L&I). State law also requires construction contractors to be bonded and insured and must register with the Washington Secretary of State. Working without registering as a contractor in Washington carries substantial penalties and fees.

There are two classifications of construction contractors in Washington.
• General Contractors can perform most types of construction work. However, contractors working with plumbing, electrical, boilers, asbestos have additional requirements. They can hire subcontractors in multiple specialties.
• Specialty Contractors can only perform work in the specialty they are registered in. They cannot hire subcontractors. L&I regulates 63 specialties and this includes contractors in the specialty of painting and wall covering.

If you have additional questions or interesting in registering your business in Washington State, please call 1-800-647-0982 or email at

What do you think?